Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Driver & navigator's prerogative

    August 13, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    The great thing about being driver & navigator is that you can set the agenda for the day. Not that I don't do that anyway. But things that are rejected can just happen to be on the route home. How handy - well since we are in the area it would be rude not to. The Tillamook Air Museum was just such a case. Liz wasn't remotely interested but it happened to be on our way home IF we visited Munson Creek Falls, which by all account were quite impressive. After the muddy events earlier questions were asked about the wisdom of visiting a waterfall. All I'd read indicated an American style walk - drive virtually all the way and then a tiny walk to the view, return to car and drive off. To be fair it was a quarter of a mile which for some yanks is practically a marathon. Anyway we got to the end of the trail or at least the sign saying the end of the trail. The trail carried on... Always likely to carry on but when the couple in front declared 'can't see any sign here' & carried on. Neither could I.
    To be fair the view wasn't any better. Onwards to the air museum - didn't have long - only open till 5. Liz was adamant that she was uninterested, so it was a quick look while she waited. Primarily I wanted to see the hangar - a blimp hangar from the war. It could hold 8 at one time and is the biggest wooden structure in N. America. It was indeed impressive and the planes located within were interesting enough. Primarily they gave scale though. Back to the cottage, noting along the way a grocery shop that did sharp line in guns - for that moment when you go to the shops for milk and realise you are in need of a gun - unbelievable. One last cycle - back upto Cape Meares - see it in sunshine. A fiendishly hot Kung Po chicken and a first and probably last sunset on the Oregon coast.
    Read more