Satellite
  • Day 6

    A little further afield.

    August 16, 2018 in Wales ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Nice bright morning, postive weather forecast. First port of call was Strumble Head & the lighthouse. Part coastal walk, part literary inspiration. Again no prizes for guessing which goes with whom. Unsurpringly, though it did surprise, on this exposed peninsula it was rather blowy, to the point that while it was sunny it was also a little chilly. Disappointingly we couldn't go upto the lighthouse, though the gate was open. Lots of warnings etc. The walk was suitably dramatic - clifftops & purple heather with crashing waves. The chill cut short the walk a little along with hunger pangs. Headed upto St Dogmaels - good chippy - and then onto Poppit Sands. Chips on the beach except the wind hadn't really died down so finding a sheltered spot was fairly important otherwise we'd have had flying chips.
    Bit of a hike to find a patch of unpopulated dunes. Enjoyed watching various badly trained dogs ignoring their owners. Couldn't quiet brave the winds & take a dip - paddle had to do - going soft. Ice cream / balckberries before heading back & realising fully that my body can't deal with really fatty foods. Upto bed to try & sleep it off. Just about managed it before sunset.
    Read more