Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39–43

    Jaipur

    March 13 in India ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    We arrived into our hostel "Mustache" with a good amount of time to make full use of their rooftop terrace bar and cafe. I was so thrilled when I was able to order pesto pasta with grilled chicken, something I'd been craving since Mumbai, and it was really tasty!

    The next day we went to the city palace and enjoyed the beautiful pink and ornately decorated architecture. We then popped over to the Jantar Mantar, an ancient observatory that boasts the largest sundial in the world. We spent most of our time there try to recreate a picture James had taken in the same place 15 years ago.

    That evening we booked a street food tour, where we were shown what and how to eat like a real Indian by Diksha. The food was immediately so good and we tried so many things. Our favourite item was the Alou Tikki and in close second for me was the chicken momos and the noodle wrap. By our 9th dish we were struggling to even put a bite in our mouths but luckily she took us on to dessert where we suddenly were able to eat a little bit more. My favourite dessert was the milk cake, which was basically milk boiled down until it had no liquid left and then mushed together. Diksha then offered us a lift back to the hostel, where she coinsidely worked in the mornings, stopping on the way at apartment where we played some Uno and a version of bingo before heading back.

    We spend the next day digesting and planing our next few weeks. With regular visits to the rooftop of food and drinks. In the evening we went into the old pink city and ate a delicious meal out using some of our local food knowledge. Afterwards we followed the guidebooks walking tour of the markets and saw shoppings selling clothes and jewellery and even managed to find a place selling milk cake! My new favourite dessert!

    For our final day in Jaipur we booked a rickshaw driver named Rishi for the day to take us to the Amber Fort and any other important sites. The Amber Fort was the highlight with beautifully decorated courtyards and a maze of rooms you had all access too it was a lot to explore. After lunch Rishi took us to textile wearhouse where they make handmade prints and we did get upsold to buy stuff which was didn't have the budget or the bag space for. After another stop off at the Albert museum and another upsell at the jewellery sellers before heading home and resting while we planned for our next day's travels.
    Read more