Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Accommodation

    September 5, 2015 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Finding accommodation in the hague is harder than I thought it would be! We are currently doing a work stay at a hostel on the beach in the hague called jorplace. We work 25 hours a week for a bed and breakfast. The work is mostly cleaning and pretty tiring and demanding, they are very pedantic and follow you to make sure you do agood job. I don't want to stay here longer than the three weeks we agreed so I'm desperately searching for some where else to live.

    They have lots of 'kamer' (dutch for room) websites but they all only accept one person. There is a law of how many people may live in a building which is usually one per room. So our dream of living in a share house with dutch people might not work. Also to rent an apartment or studio we be proof of income, same in Australia, but we don't have proof, or an income, or even a bank account...I must remind Joel to pick a bank... so that option will be hard. Another weird thing about the Netherlands is rental properties often come with no floor! The previous tenant takes it with them.

    So we see looking for less legal means of accommodation, verbal agreements I guess. I've heard about an anti squatting thing where people want to prevent squaters while there building or apartment is empty, so they rent them out very cheap (150€/month! ) but you only get it for average 8 months and can be told to move out in two weeks. The owner of jorplace does this and will recommend us - which is a requirement of registration with the rental company. So hopefully that will work out!
    Read more