Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2: 45

    July 3, 2016 in France ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Our lovely host Xavier gave us breakfast and tea. We left their house around 9/930. He had helped us plan the route for today, but warned us that there was 3/4 valleys that we needed to do before it would flatten out.

    Going down hill is really fun, we got up to 45 km/hr. But it's always a bit daunting because after going down we have to go up! We would very slowly ride up the big hills, mean while the sports cyclists would overtake us at an enormous speed! It also provided motivation, have you seen their legs? ? We stopped at the top of every mountain, for water and to wait for the other. There were so many hills, With each one getting harder and harder so we decided to stop for the night in Dourdan as our host said there was a nice castle and church and Michelle wanted a pub to watch the soccer game.

    We found a campsite just out of town and rode in with empty bikes. Stocked up on food, and explored the town. I was so tired but managed to stay awake for the game, well half of it. When Michelle realised Iceland were not going to win at half time we were allowed to leave (go France!).

    To navigate, I'm doing what my friend suggested (thanks Pieterjan!), We look on the map the day before and write down the name of the little Villages we will go through and there are signs everywhere. If there is no sign we check the gps. It's been great so far!
    Read more