Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 266

    Kakadu - Yellow River & Nourlangie

    July 26, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Fantastic day visiting Kakadu NP!

    First we stopped in at the Bowall Visitor Centre to get our bearings and stared with the Mirray Lookout walk.

    Then we ventured to Yellow Water and did the board walk around the river and spotted a couple of crocs...

    Then visited the Warradjan Aboriginal Cultural Centre which was a real eye opener. I loved the depth of cultural understanding it brought and certainly made the whole Kakdu experience something to remember learning more about the culture.

    To finish the day we visited Burrungkuy (Nourlangie) and did the walk to see the rock art which was incredible. The whole landscape was like something you would see in Crocodile Dundee!

    The lookout climb to Nawurlandja happened to coincide with a guided tour which was an incredible experience. The young guide 'Oscar' was born in Arnhem Land to a Hungarian mother and Aboriginal father and grew up in the tribe. He had a really fresh perspective on sharing the cultural wisdom so it is not lost and believed that really the white European settlers and the Aboriginal peoples were the same and not that different....

    The way tribes fight between each other, steal women, force other clans to join their tribe etc. Was not that dissimilar to the invasion of the Europeans.... it was such a different perspective and I was really grateful to listen to him first hand talking about his life and upbringing and tribal experiences.
    Read more