Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    The siege of Louisburg

    August 15, 2021 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Today i hike the Louisburg lighthouse trail, it is way more than just a hike it is a portal into the ancient world. As you traverse across the rocky shoreline you are following in the footsteps of young soldiers who defended or attacked the fort almost 300 years ago!

    In 1758 the British under general James L wolfe laid siege to Louisburg. I saw the spot where they landed their artillery and attacked the outer defenses.

    Right offshore are 4 French warships languishing in a watery grave. It is hard to imagine the fiery madness that must have dominated the area.

    Imagine been a French defender and seeing the British fleet come into view. That is one truly special thing about this area, at anyone time a fog bank can roll in and obscure what sits even 20 feet in front of you.

    I see it this way. There was a heavy fog that kept the British fleet from landing right away. Then as the fog started to lift, the French defenders saw their worst nightmare a British armada just offshore, just out of reach of their heavy cannons.

    The French warships in dock immediately sprung into action to face their enemy. But they were outnumbered and outgunned and sunk to the ocean floor.

    Then the inevitable sunk in. It was only a matter of time until the English landed on shore and the Siege would begin. Once the outer protective batteries were gone the ships could pull into the harbour and bombard the fort itself it had to a horrific waiting game.

    I have no idea how long the siege went on for, but I imagine it must have took months.

    What a horrible feeling for the residents of the fort to see their future fate, and be incapable of doing anything about it...
    Read more