Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Contextual Factor 2 (Q8)

    May 14, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Question 8: AGAIN-In regard to the contextual factors, talk about one (which of course is not the one you just talked about) and what you learned while we were in Greece that helped you understand that factor in more depth?

    Another contextual factor I learned a lot about was the Greek's laid back culture and tendency to take their time. In the book we read in preparation for our trip it talked a lot about the fact that Greeks are often late for things. As someone who is rarely late, this was something that surprised me while preparing for the trip. I thought it was probably not as common as the book made it out to be, however, we encountered it quite a bit. Our ferry back to Athens to head home was running late. Both days we worked with the refugees they came later than the start time. Fotis Vazeos was late for dinner. I learned that Greece's lack of punctuality isn't because they don't care or because they are lazy, but rather the opposite. In Greece people care about relationships. They take their time to have conversations with each other and enjoy life. This is why there are hardly any fast food type places and why most places don't really do food to-go. Greeks would rather take their time and sit and enjoy their coffee or food than be on the go 24-7 like we are so used to in the United States. I honestly really like this way of doing things. I wish we had a little more time to just sit back, take it all in, and enjoy the little parts of life.
    Read more