Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 130

    Khao Sok National Park Day 1

    February 24, 2023 in Thailand

    We had a great first day of our overnight adventure at Khao Sok National Park. The National park is an incredible sight to behold. Located in Chonburi, Thailand, this national park is renowned for its stunning beauty, original animal and bird life, lush forests and impressive limestone cliffs.

    After breakfast we left our hotel but the ride was longer than we thought getting to the pier. There were moments we thought we boarded the wrong vehicle.

    We met our tour guide and registered. We also met other participants from Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, and the US.

    Our adventure started with a a boat ride to see these three limb cliff formations. They were quite stunning. We didn’t have the best seats to take pictures but me did the best we could.

    Our boat took another 30 min to our floating cabins where checked in and had lunch. After lunch we boarded our boat to reach our hiking destination.

    It was a short 15 minute ride, and we reached our hiking drop off point where we sort of crossed part of the island to reach another pier to board a bamboo raft to reach the entrance off the Coral Cave.

    Along the way, our guide pointed out different flora and fauna, and also where elephants recently ate some bamboo and pointed out their tracks. Our guide also identified where Trap Door Spiders built their “trap doors.”

    At the next pier we boarded a bamboo raft and took a short ride to the base of the cave which were steps leading to the entrance. We made the short but steep climb to the cave. There were some dramatic stalagmites and stalactites. We there were some damaged by an earthquake. Our guide was quite the entertainer. He brought to a corner of the cave, and used a torch light on a jagged rock to create an eerie shadow. He gave us a shadow theatre performance called the “Witch’s Broom” with sound effects and dialogue. Our guide was quite a character.

    After the performance, we boarded our bamboo raft, hiked to meet our covered boat, and made it back to our floating cabin for relaxation and dinner. Not a bad first day exploring the lake and tropical rain forest!
    Read more