Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 144

    The Big Buddha of Phuket

    March 10, 2023 in Malaysia

    Our adventure began in the morning as Craig and I hopped on our motorbikes and set off towards the Big Buddha on Phuket Island. The winding roads and lush greenery made for a scenic ride as we made our way up the mountain. We passed various off road adventure businesses, elephant sanctuaries, and restaurants.

    As we approached the top, the towering statue of the Big Buddha came into view. Standing at 45 meters tall and made of white marble, it was an awe-inspiring sight. We parked our bikes and made our way up the steps to the base of the statue. As usual, there many people taking endless selfies. We’re not talking about quick pictures but way to much production that takes to much time - makes me grumpy…:)

    From the top, we had a breathtaking view of Phuket and the surrounding islands. We took our time exploring the area and learning about the history and significance of the Big Buddha.

    Here is some interesting facts we learnt about the Big Buddha. The Big Buddha of Phuket is a 45-meter-tall white marble statue located on top of Nakkerd Hill near Chalong. It is visible from anywhere in the southern part of Phuket and is considered one of the island's most iconic landmarks. The official name of the statue is Phra Phutta Ming Mongkol Eknakiri, which means "the Cherished Auspicious Lord Buddha atop Nāga Hill".

    Construction of the statue began in 2004 and was funded primarily through donations. The statue was declared the "Buddhist Treasure of Phuket" by Somdet Phra Yanasangwon, the Supreme Patriarch of Thailand, in 2008.
    Read more