Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Marvelous Santiago

    April 24, 2023 in Chile ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Today was a captivating day of exploration as we immersed ourselves in the rich history and enchanting architecture of Santiago, Chile. The four of us signed up for a walking tour to explore the city's vibrant energy and interesting history:

    Plaza de Armas: Our adventure commenced at the historic Plaza de Armas, the beating heart of Santiago. Stepping onto this bustling square, we were greeted by the grandeur of the Metropolitan Cathedral and the stunning façade of the Correo Central. The square's energetic atmosphere, adorned with fountains, palm trees, and vibrant flowers, provided the perfect introduction to Santiago's cultural heritage.

    La Moneda: Just a stone's throw away from Plaza de Armas lies the majestic Palacio de La Moneda, the seat of the Chilean government. This neoclassical masterpiece stood as a symbol of political power and resilience. We marveled at the architectural grandeur and learned about its historic significance, including the tumultuous events that unfolded during the military coup of 1973.

    Plaza de la Constitución: Continuing our exploration, we strolled along the bustling streets of Santiago to reach the Plaza de la Constitución. This expansive square is surrounded by significant landmarks, including the imposing Palacio de los Tribunales and the elegant Palacio de Justicia. The square's lively atmosphere, adorned with colorful street performers and bustling cafes, offered a glimpse into the city's vibrant culture.

    Barrio Paris - Londres: Our next destination took us to the charming neighborhood of Barrio Paris - Londres, a true architectural gem. Walking through its narrow streets, we were transported to another era, with European-inspired architecture and quaint cobblestone alleys. Each building seemed to whisper stories of bygone times.

    Iglesia San Agustín: One of the hidden gems we discovered was the stunning Iglesia San Agustín, a magnificent church nestled within the heart of Santiago. The baroque architecture, adorned with intricate details and towering spires, left us in awe. Stepping inside, we were greeted by the serenity and tranquility of the sacred space, where we took a moment for quiet reflection.

    Santa Lucía Hill: We then ascended the iconic Santa Lucía Hill, a verdant oasis in the heart of the city. The winding pathways and lush gardens led us to breathtaking viewpoints overlooking the cityscape of Santiago. We marveled at the contrast between the modern skyline and the natural beauty of the surrounding mountains.

    Lastarria: Our day concluded with a visit to the vibrant neighborhood of Lastarria, where art, culture, and gastronomy converge. The cobblestone streets were lined with trendy cafes, art galleries, and boutique shops. After the tour, we joined a family we had met for a nice lunch at a local restaurant, savoring the flavors of Chilean cuisine and soaking in the lively atmosphere of this bohemian quarter.

    Santiago has left an indelible mark on us with its fusion of history, architecture, and vibrant culture. Each step through the city revealed fascinating stories, connecting us with the past while embracing the present.
    Read more