Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    60 minutes in Trondheim

    April 11, 2023 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 7 °C

    I had a short time between trains so gave my self an hour to wander around Trondheim's seafront, marinas and town centre. Whilst it may be my memory and a difference in time of day at fault, the area seemed hugely regenerated since my last brief visit to this part of town over 10 years ago. Mid to high rise buildings adorned with tech and consultancy logos now seemed to dominate, including a marine robotics company whose autonomous boats shared the marina with very expensive looking yachts.

    The town is quaintly lit, with the usual mix of upmarket shops and student focused fast food joints found in these prosperous northern towns.

    As I wandered around the area, I noted the extensive freight sidings associated with the station; at home these have largely become separate facilities from passenger stations. With it's challenging topography, Norway by necessity makes full use of its railways - the cars bear iso containers with the logos of the post service and super market as well as the usual bulk freight companies. The whole area is overlooked by a signal box atop the ultra modern station building, which looks more like an airport control tower than the dilapidated railway infrastructure of stereotype.
    Read more