Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Flydalsjuvet again

    April 22, 2012 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    We debated for a time whether to attempt a new walk, hang around the shore or revisit one of the previous day’s viewpoints now that the weather was on our side. Conscious that our ship as far as Bodø was departing at 13:30, and that the only way to go aboard was via M/S Geiranger which acts as her tender, which would likely cast off ahead of that , we decided that a route we knew would be preferable. We had a better idea of whether we were likely to get anywhere worthwhile, and being as we were re-tracing our steps, wouldn’t waste the time one usually spends on navigation. So we headed back for the first view point that we had visited, which has been popularised on many postcards and holiday brochures.

    As we took the walk back along the fjord into town, before begging to ascend the slope, we saw strange currents playing upon the surface of the water. In the twilight of the night before I had taken them to be jumping fish, but in the light of day they were tiny white crested waves. From the higher elevations the day before we had noticed definite patterns of apparently still water amongst the lightly rippled water of the rest of the fjord; the still watering spreading out like the branches of a tree from a “root” near the shore line. We have no idea why (though naturally this did not keep us from wild speculation and blind guesses); it was an added dimension of intrigue to an already sublime experience.

    From the wharf it took us just under an hour to make the steep walk, now carrying our full packs having checked out from our cabin. We took essentially the same photograph as the day before, but this time less rain, more rucksack.

    Although ducks traditionally prefer the rain, I think the sunshine better suits ‘Soaring Soul Duck’s disposition. The scenery had certainly been powerful the day before, the atmosphere hanging with cool drizzle and cool mist from the waterfalls, but it was todays sunshine that really brought out the beauty and scale of the place.

    We took a lunch of basic sandwiches once again, but it is quite remarkable how an appetite stoked by hard walking, breathtaking scenery and a warming rays of sunshine (just enough to take the edge of the wind chill) can enhance the enjoyment of a simple, frugal repast. By this point we had cumulatively ascended over 1.3Km; the last 300m with our full packs, so our appetites were well enhanced.
    Read more