Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Florence Day 3

    May 30, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Today we were up ‘early’ for our visit to the Uffizi gallery. We had a cheeky takeaway breakfast from our B&B, before waiting in line to get our reserved tickets and then making our way inside to see some Botticelli, Leonardo Da Vinci, Rafael and Michelangelo. The gallery is in a big U shape that was owned by the Medici family who basically ruled over Florence in the 1400s. The gallery was packed but we managed to see everywhere we wanted to — the birth of Venus, the Medusa shield, and the others.

    After the gallery we were pretty hungry so went to a Raw cafe where Tegan loaded up greens, then Gustapizza where Steve loaded up on pizza (that had some rocket on top Mum!). It was the best pizza we’ve had so far in Italy, well worth the 15 minute wait to get a table.

    After lunch we walked up the hill to the Michelangelo square, which gives a great view of Florence. There was a bloke absolutely belting out Lana Del Ray, much to the displeasure of most of the tourists. We then headed back across the river towards home for a rest -- we had another gallery booked for the late afternoon, the Accademia Gallery, which is centred around Michelangelo's statue of David.

    It was pretty amazing, the statue is massive and the way they've made it the centrepiece of the gallery is quite stunning.

    After the gallery we headed home and tried to decide where to go for dinner, but ended up getting takeaway falafel wraps for a nice and easy dinner at home. We spent the rest of the night trying to organise the last two weeks of our trip, which are still yet to be organised...

    a great virw view of Florence.
    Read more