Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Salzburg Day 3

    June 11, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Today we were up early to catch the bus to Berchtesgaden to go to nearby Königsee, a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains. We were up early and headed to Backwerk, a bakery. We got breakfast and lunch and caught a bus for 45 mins and arrived in the town where we caught another bus to the lake, where you then catch a boat to explore the lake. It was absolutely stunning, the water is crystal clear and surrounded by greenery and mountains. The boat stopped half way there and the guy played a trumpet to showcase the echo. It was amazingly clear. Atop one of the nearby mountains there is the Eagles Nest, a place that hitler held meetings at some point in time. It is supposed to have amazing views and we had been planning on checking it out, but it was quite cloudy and so we decided to spend all our time exploring the lake instead.

    We got off at the final stop and walked around the lake, which is quite a trek up the side of the mountain; fortunately we both made it without doing an ankle! We then walked to the waterfall at the end of the valley and walked straight passed some cows who didn’t care how close they were to humans. We ate lunch at the waterfall and made our way back to catch the boat. We explored for 3-4 hours. The boat ride was relaxing and enjoyable after so much walking. We had to wait for two of our buses. We made it home by 6pm and went out for dinner at ‘Heart of Joy’, a little cafe that stays open for a casual dinner. Steve had a falafel wrap and Tegan had lentils with rice. We were both very satisfied and headed home for an early night of uni work and planning our trip :)
    Read more