Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The summer Palace and X'ian

    August 13, 2019 in China ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    Today early wake-up call and we checked out early. We left our suitcases and went to see the Summer Palace. It was about 1 hour away, past parks and along a beautiful lake. The Empress who lived there was quite wicked they say, as women in history go, and she killed her son so that she could rule. It wasn't possible to visit inside any of the buildings, "Giancarlo" said because people were stealing things and ruining everything. The Parks, delicate walkways outside and lake were lovely. And the marble boat was just beautiful to see.
    We walked abeing pushed around by millions of people, then went for a very early lunch in a very good restaurant that I enjoyed very much. The Turin couple did nothing but complain but I really enjoyed everything. I found out that they don't drink cold things at the table, just tea or warm water with lemon. It makes sense since it washes away the spice taste.. but oh the complaints..
    Then we rushed to the Bejingxin (west) station for the X'ian 2 pm train. We had some time so went to McDonald's and got some very bitter green tea and a good iced coffee for Robbie lucky him. Then we settled in for a 6 hour trip.
    19.02: on the bus from the station.
    Great trip, really enjoyed it. Very clean and orderly with some good views of the countryside.
    We arrived at the largest station in Asia, so probably the largest in the world. You couldn't see the end of it. Still about half an hour to go.

    We arrived in perfect time at X'ian. The city is completely different from Beijing, you strive and see scores of high rises in the middle of a desert. The city is small compared to Beijing, "just" 12 million inhabitants and they seem to be wealthier than in the capital. You see some supercars Abe very nice stores. Our hotel, the Titan Times, is great, they gave us a suite which Oleg is enjoying. We went out for dinner by subway to the Bell Tower, there is an amazingly lit square so full of light and young people talking, playing music, eating and playing that it was lovely to see. There were some high fashion shops (major brands were all here) and at the level above we are at a really nice dumpling restaurant (have to find the name, Feng sth, lovely) are so much we had to leave stuff and spent less than 12 Euros each.
    After dinner we ventured into the Muslim quarters. I wasn't expecting the lively, noisy colourful soul. I bought a power bank, my phone keeps doing. I suspect it's the sim card I bought here.. Enough is said.. it was a lot of Finn and we shall probably go back tonight.
    The others took a tuktuk but we walked to the near subway and in 1 stop we were at the hotel. The rooms were very cold..
    Read more