Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Last day in X'ian and going to Chungqing

    August 15, 2019 in China ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    This morning Nan picked us up at 8.30 to take us to the small Goose Pagoda, wonderful garden and structure. In the complex there is housed the X'ian Cultural institute, we went in and had a short calligraphy lesson. The last showed us just a couple of words, the meaning of their writing and we had a go (very rough go). Then we decided to buy a painting done right there in front of us of the China national flower, the peony. Quite pretty.
    Then the pagoda, while everything in Beijing was round here the pagodas are square, the influx from the Silk Road different cultures and styles. The pagoda is set in a beautiful park encircled by a huge rose garden, quite beautiful.

    After this we managed to the the X'ian Museum, quite interesting with many relics from the Tang dinasty. Most objects dated to the 3rd to 6th century Ad, fascinating.
    Then Nan took us to a cooking lesson. We made horrible to look at dumplings, then had an exaggerated lunch (delicious and too much!). And here we are on the train, 5 hours to Chungqing.

    Arrived at 8 pm, the city of Chungqing is the largest city in the world. Half an hour before arriving you start seeing endless skyscrapers, all the same, these grey flat pillars, ominous looking, nothing like X'ian or Shanghai.
    The hotel is quite nice, but as nice as X'ian's. Within 15 minutes from arrival we were on a subway looking for the center and a place to eat. Chinese restaurants around town close at 8.30 pm, a little early, so we were towards the river and found bright lights and hot pots galore.
    After getting kicked out of a couple of very full places, we ended up in a nice hot pot restaurant and are really really well. We had a laugh, have a new WeChat friend and are delicious food. We had to take a taxi back because the subway closes early but we spent 20 yuan, not even 3 Euros..
    Oleg fell right sleep but he was so happy. I'm glad he's having a good time.
    Read more