Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Curacao

    February 27, 2020 in Curacao ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Laranha oranges are wild oranges originating from the Spanish Valencia oranges that produce fruit twice a year. They are so bitter that even the goats won’t eat them but the Jewish Senior family, beginning in 1896, started using the rind, sugar, clove and cardamom to make blue Curaçao liqueur.

    They now make it in many other flavours like chocolate , coffee, rum and raisin, etc.

    Also visited a local cottage business started by a 10 year old girl and her mother who wanted more sending money for her family trip to Orlando. Now the whole family works at making lip balm, organic soaps and skin butters. The girl is now 17 sad finishing high school.

    Watched a folkloric dance and music performance. Very educational and beautiful. Even Vic got in on the action. If only I could have remembered how to use his video camera. Yes I realize now I should have just used my phone.

    Visited an aloe farm where they make shower gels and face creams. An aloe plant is ready for harvest after 2.5 years. You can also eat the gel And of course it has many healing properties. Our bus let us off downtown where we had a small gelato in place of lunch. 29*C and as long as you idle walk in the shade or catch a breeze it was comfortable. Got back to the ship by 4 pm to shower and have dinner. Went back out for the evening.

    The yacht moored across from our ship was a owned by Bill Gates’ business partner. He is wishing to sell it. It has a full sized helicopter, three power boats and at least six jet skis. Anyone interested?

    All aboard is at 10.
    Read more