Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    At sea

    March 6, 2020, North Pacific Ocean ⋅ 🌬 29 °C

    We experienced quite a windy, rocky night, beginning at 2:30 am, with the worst at 5:30 am, described as hurricane force winds by our Captain, gusts up to 100 mph. Many outside cabins with patio doors were flooded. Our window was wind and water tight. By 9 am it had calmed considerably and the skies are blue and slightly less windy. By 11 it was 30C and gentle breezes. Our next port was changed to Manzanillo from Huatulco because of the high winds. Should be interesting to see a new port.

    Last night’s cellar master dinner was lovely. Our cellar master is the only female cellar master on HAL. Tihana is from Croatia and has a 20-year career aboard ships. This afternoon’s wine tasting should prove interesting. She was quite excited to tell us about it when we met in the corridor.

    By noon the seas were like glass and the winds were calm.

    The premiere wine tasting event was interesting, even the choice of glass or crystal makes a difference in the flavour of the wine. If you don’t believe me, try it at home.

    The plate of cheeses and seafood and chocolate was used as pairings with the various wines. The fat in the smoked salmon and the cheese smoothes out the acid in the wine with which it is paired. Who says vacation can’t be educational?
    Read more