Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Heading further South

    February 27, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Today we made our way south to Wanaka. We left Nan at about 9:30 and it was drizzling and 11 degrees.
    Arrived at Mary & Bobs at around 10:30 and had a sit and some coffee and a good catch up. And so it was an hour later that we got back on the road.
    We took the Tekapo route as it was more interesting . As we got nearer to Tekapo we could see that the cloud was lifting, so that when we arrived at the lake there was a lot of blue sky and the temperature in the sun was lovely. We used the local conveniences and then a wander down to the lake. It was just lovely and relaxing.
    Back on the road we decided to have lunch in Omarama at a place called The Wrinkly Rams - it was full on sun by then and much warmer. The Cafe was very busy with quite a crowd mainly outside. We enjoyed our lunch and while we were there 4 or 5 vintage cars pulled into the carpark - several Rolls Royces and 2 or 3 Packards. A great chance to get some photos.
    Then we pushed on to Wanaka and the temp reached a heady 21 degrees - the best for the day. Found our cabin and sat in the sun, shoes off and had some tea.
    Tonight we went downtown and went to Francesco's for pizza and Montepulciano - and had a fun time there.
    Tomorrow we will travel to Omakau and prepare for our first ride.
    Read more