Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day two - Mt Ida Homestead to Hyde

    March 2, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 14 °C

    Our morning at Mt Ida Homestead started with a couple of surprises - firstly we were greeted at our front door by a large black pig - she was very friendly and eventually went her own way and then having discovered how cold it was outside we realised that there been a frost - according to people we later met it was between 2 and 4 degrees of frost.
    We packed our overnight bag once more and prepared our riding machines. And we were off - the air sure was cold and fingers got a little sore. Our first stop was at the Wedderburn railway station where lots of photos are taken and Bob took one of us. The trails were more level - less hills today.
    We had to wait a little longer today for coffee, which we got after about 16km at Ranfurly. The day was a lot warmer when we arrived at the cafe along with other bikers. The coffee was great and we bought some sandwiches for lunch later. We went for a quick walk around town and that included an interesting Art Deco museum.
    Back on our bikes and we rode through some beautiful scenery, lots of bridges and viaducts - and one tunnel. We have met groups of people today as for yesterday - some people we have bumped into many times - they stop for a drink or toilet and we pass them, then later they pass us. All very friendly.
    As we got closer to Hyde the countryside was great - big black rocks and hills, streams and later the Taieri River.
    About 10km from Hyde we came across a biker trying to repair a flat tyre - we stopped to help but couldn't get the tyre to hold air - we took his name and said we would ride on and contact his bike hirer - Essam was his name and before we had gone far rescue arrived. Because we had set off for help we missed an opportunity to sit in the valley to eat our lunch - which we ended up having in Hyde at a coffee takeaway - how fortuities.
    At Hyde we got our car back and loaded up for the drive back to Omakau and then our nights accommodation near Alexandra.
    So to complete our day we went into town for Thai.
    So we rode approximately 45km today it was less strenuous with some great scenery. We rest tomorrow and spend the night in Roxburgh. Our next ride is on Friday when we do the first leg of the Clutha Gold trail.
    Read more