Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Farewell rugged and beautiful south.....

    March 13, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Yesterday we packed our stuff and began the return drive to Ashburton. It wasn't too early up, but showers, breakfast and packing seemed to go pretty well and we were ready to leave before 10:00.
    We said our farewells and got into our separate cars and left.
    As Shotover Country is on the outskirts of Queenstown we were soon in the beautifully rugged countryside and on our way to Clyde - yes we had to make a short excursion to Clyde to pick up a bike helmet that someone left at Shebikeshebikes. Once we had retrieved our belongings we took the opportunity to have a coffee and date scone at Oliver's cafe outside in the morning sun.
    Then we headed back to Cromwell and took the road to Tarras and on passed Pukaki and Tekapo. As we drove passed Tekapo Aoraki was clear in all its splendor and of course the lake was its normal milky blue.
    We stopped in Tekapo for a late lunch, but before that we both took a RAT test - we didn't want to get passed Temuka before taking the test we said we would do before arriving at Nan's place. It was a bit tricky in the car with all the little packets and containers. Gran went first and then me - before we left the car to go for lunch we could see already that Gran was negative and later mine was the same. Mary and Bob have subsequently done the same with clear results.
    After lunch Gran took over the driving duties and drove the rest of the way home to Ashburton - getting home about 5.
    We will be here until Friday when we will travel as far as Kaikoura and sail next day (unless they change the sailings)
    And so we had a great time in the south - we had lots of fun times with Mary and Bob - they did such a good job making most of the arrangements - it is a part of New Zealand that we love - the scenery is outstanding (as you know).
    And so I will end this post to tell you that the photo attached is repeated because when I posted it on Instagram I got a message from the Central Otago Tourism asking permission to us it on their website and social media channels - and I have given them permission. I remember when we stopped beside the Clutha river near the start of the Clutha Gold trail the scene was magic.
    Read more