Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Exploring Karikari peninsula and rain

    November 18, 2022 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 17 °C

    Yesterday we decided to take a drive to Karikari peninsula and explore some of the beaches. Made our way to the town centre and drove down Tokerau beach - there was rows of beach houses along a long stretch of beach and most were unoccupied - very little sign of life. Had a sit on a bench and took in the view. It was such a lovely day, perhaps a cooler day too. The sand bank between the beach and land edge was full of shells (see images) - I expect they were a few centuries old.
    We drove further north and came across Carrington Estate where I guess Mark has played a few golf rounds there :) - we moved on to Karikari Estate which is a winery and restaurant. Ordered a platter to share and sat in a large marque (it was a bit drafty outside) with our glasses of Pinotage - not a bad drop. A bus group of old people turned up and joined us (and a few others) in the marque - they were typical old people - noisy and belligerent.
    Sat outside to take our very ordinary coffee and admired the view.
    We drove further up the road and then turned around as the road went to an area of tribal land. So explored more westerly and went to a beach called Rangiputa - it had white sand and we talked with a fisherman there who had just caught a kahawai. Sat there for a while then set out for home.
    We had Syd and Annie King over for the evening - they are staying in Ahipara for a day or two - they have been biking and tripping around here too.
    We drank some red and shared a few stories. Had fish and chips from a local shop here.
    This morning we woke to some heavy rain and easterly wind. So we have sat and did Wordle etc and caught up on photos.
    BUT it is clearing and I can see blue sky - so the day is not a dead loss.
    Read more