Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    TMT and the most stunning scenery

    September 22, 2019 in Mongolia ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    Well the Trans Mongolian first class didn’t overwhelm but nor did it disappoint.
    The light on the autumnal trees dotting the steppe like landscape as soon as we left Ulan Ude kept Kate at the windows with her camera.
    All too soon the sun set so we settled in for a little Netflix before crossing the dreaded Russian border.
    As it was, the border crossings went v smoothly albeit with a little phone issue. Loved it when the huge female immigration official in full uniform presents in the doorway and says “ Border Control get out please”!!! We didn’t hesitate!!
    2 x custom searches, a drug dog, a passport man, a customs form lady and then the border control lady and we were through! All v efficient in 1.5 hours.
    Next we rattled onto the Mongolian border- now midnight. More customs and checks and we were finally on our way ready to catch a few hours sleep.... until they cranked the heaters on full blast!!! Through all of this the toilets had been locked shut! K woke up just as we rolled Into a stop to find the toilets locked again... I though we were going to have to use the she-wee and the 5l water bottle!!!
    We finally rolled into Ulanbataar (UB) as the sun came up this am illuminating Yurt/ gers in their 100’s!!
    I’m going to love Mongolia!!
    Read more