Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 113

    Ella to Kandy part 2

    October 22, 2019 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    https://bestoflanka.com/train-travels-kandy-to-…

    We found our hotel easily as it was v near the train station but then couldn’t get in! It isn’t so much of a hotel as an apartment which is v nice except the kitchen is totally empty of utensils, jug etc and the fridge is a health hazard. The wife who let us in reported to know nothing and said her husband was coming now but after 20 mins he still hadn’t arrived so we left to find food.
    To cut a v long story short Kandy is pretty hideous from heaps of loud , dirty traffic, constant bothering from tuk tuk drivers ( if we bloody wanted a lift we would ask for one!), to a rather dirty looking lake.
    We tried x 4 places to eat before settling on the respectable Queens Hotel upstairs restaurant.
    The waiter pretended to speak no English to start with whilst trying to order something but got significantly better when he asked us about the rugby later on.
    He then tripped as he brought our drinks- k caught her beer and I caught my sprite thank god.
    Lunch was average but the chef and the waiter proceeded to stand and chit chat to each other right next to our table.... despite the whole 60 cover restaurant being empty..., we wouldn’t have minded if they offered us another drink or a service but no just were annoying.
    During this we decided we had had enough of Kandy already and instead of wasting tmrw we would head north to Dambulla a day early.
    We paid the idiots at the restaurant - whose English was now pretty sophisticated and left for an oasis of a coffee shop we found online (Buono).
    Next it was to the bus station to try to locate where our bus may go from tmrw- there were hundreds of dirty clapped out buses to choose from. Hopefully we found where the more reliable express ones park so tmrw when we have our bags it’s less of a hassle.
    Now back to the “hotel” with no working internet, tv, jug but at least we have air con and tmrw we blow this joint. Thanks but no thanks Kandy
    Read more