Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 115

    Kaudulla national park

    October 24, 2019 in Sri Lanka ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    https://www.yogawinetravel.com/how-to-see-the-e…

    After our life saving coffee and despite the rain, suddenly we were being driven at speed north to Kaudulla National Park.
    We thought we were meant to be going for lunch and then to the park at 2.30pm for our safari to see the biggest gathering of elephants in Sri Lanka- groups of 200-300 which we were told were best seen late afternoon.
    However we arrived In the park at 1pm ( without lunch as we were reportedly late!)... to meet up with another Jeep.
    We were a bit grumpy about this early start and the fact that it was still totally pissing down however for the next 2 hours we were one of only 4 jeeps in the park!
    At 3pm we suddenly saw there was a queue of about 20-30 jeeps!
    The elephant groups were incredible. We must have seen approx 150 elephants - many with small babies still suckling. They were totally unperturbed by the vehicles and walked past extremely closely if they wanted to cross the road where we happened to be watching them from!
    The next 3 hours flew by just watching and photographing these ungainly animals as the played and ate. What a treat??!!
    It certainly wasn’t a safari for other animal spotting but we did see a jackal and a few birds. K was disappointed not to see a sloth bear ( different to a sloth) but the elephants more than made this trip.
    On the way home we passed a v aggressive bull all covered in red dirt just on the side of the road, charging at cars as they passed!! What a bonus?!
    We got back to the accommodation at 5.30pm and immediately showered ams changed into warm clothes, before having dinner.
    Tmrw we have no idea which direction we are heading or where we r staying... left to Wilpattu for the chance to see sloth bears... or right to Trincomalee for the chance to see blue whales??!! Tough decisions
    Read more