Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 116

    Bus to Trincomalee & shit accommodation

    October 25, 2019 in Sri Lanka ⋅ 🌧 25 °C

    Today started off well, carried on and ended up v v well!
    We left the Thammenna Eco Cabins, after breakfast in a tuk tuk to take us to the main bus stop.
    I managed to top up my local SIM card easily so we could book some accommodation in Trincomalee, on the east coast when we got there ( being a day ahead of schedule we had nothing booked)
    Whilst waiting on the side of the road for a suitable bus we were kindly accosted by a couple of “taxi” drivers kindly offering to drive us in their private cars for $30usd - more than x 10 the bus fare!! They certainly didn’t leave quickly with one staying with us for most of the 20 mins we waited!
    Finally our bus came and we loaded our bags once more onto the gear console- lucky because K would soon be fascinated by the distinct lack of use of gears!
    We paid our 480rupees ($3.90 aud for both of us!!) and settled back for our 2 hr trip to Trinco.
    Arriving at 11.30am we got a tuk tuk to the hotel where we were due for the following 3 nights- however we took an instant dislike to it so promptly left, argued for a v cheap price and took a tuk tuk to a lovely resort 15kms up the road at Nilaveli Beach- K couldnt have been happier!!
    Our room is amazing and despite we don’t have a sea View we are one of only 5 occupied rooms and I’m back in a waffle- weave robe- life is good again!
    Had a walk on the beach which was deserted, Swam in the pool that was empty and we have just had the most amazing dinner..... with enough leftovers in my lunchbox for the rugby tmrw!!
    Sadly the hotel is having an issue with its liquor licence.... so is selling beers for $1.50 aud ordered from reception.... so we stocked up for the rugby tmrw!!
    Curry, beers, satellite TV.... we are ready for the big game!!
    Read more