Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 123

    A full day in Thimpu - Part 2

    November 1, 2019 in Bhutan ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    So off we went to the market a little reluctantly following Hem, the guide. Neither of us particularly like the usually dirty, hectic, smelly markets but this was honestly the nicest, cleanest market either of us had ever been to!! It was a joy to walk around!
    They sold every type of vegetable, rice, honey of many colours, yeast cakes ( for making alcohol), chillies and chilli powder by the tonnes and bags and bags of incense! We couldn’t believe how much we both enjoyed it.
    Then it was finally off to lunch although it was only 12.30pm.
    K saved my life when I was about to take a huge forkful of the National dish- chillies and cheese. I thought it was a type of green been in cheese sauce with some chilli... but no it was green chillies in cheese sauce- Jesus even a small amount was v v hot!!
    Next we were off to the magnificent Tashichhoedzong- a splendid fortress in the centre of the city, next to the Kings palace. It’s the meeting place of the government and the king to discuss the country’s needs, alongside a resident contingent of monks. Beautiful murals adorned the walls, the outside was surrounded by a rose garden with roses of every variety, the fortress walls gave security and peace whilst the internal monastery gave a place of spiritual worship in all its colours.
    After learning more about Buddhist teachings it was off to watch an archery competition. Sadly they weren’t using traditional bows and arrows but high powered imported hunting bows which wasn’t quite the same.
    By now it was 3.15pm and Hem reported next on the agenda was a walk through town- to this we politely asked if we could decline to return to our hotel to watch the NZ vs Wales game!! He was only to happy to comply as assured us we weren’t missing anything in town so off we went to watch the game.
    At 5.30pm we were picked up again for a traditional Bhutanese dinner which consisted of... more chilli dishes! It was nice but weird as we were the only 2 people in the whole restaurant ? Because it was a national holiday ( coronation of the king day). Home again by 7.30pm after a v full but satisfying day.
    Read more