Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 182

    Stansted to Geneva

    December 30, 2019 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 2 °C

    At 4.30am we were trying to eat our free breakfast at the hotel because it was free!!
    Staying at the Hampton by Hilton at Stansted Airport meant we only had to walk 5 mins to the terminal thank god so by 5.30am we were all checked in and going through security for our 07.05am flight. The airport was packed it could have been 5.30pm!!
    We saw a couple trying to get to their flight through a gate that had closed 30 mins before... and then we were boarded 40 mins early!! Luckily we were in situ so no harm done.
    By 9.15am we had touched down in Geneva!
    There is a machine that dispenses free train tickets for the 6 mins from the airport to the city centre so we v soon found ourselves in downtown Geneva after the most efficient airport transfer ever.
    Next it was off to find the Hotel Montbrillant to dump our bags... and viola there it was right next to the train station.... 5 metres from the station doors. Loving Switzerland already!
    10 mins later and our bags were safely dropped off, tickets for free transport provided and a city map we set off to find a much needed coffee.
    We found a great little coffee shop, had refreshments and then spent several hours walking around the lake and town- Geneva is a v beautiful, clean, easy city- just what we needed.
    Migros supermarket provided us with a quick ( but quite expensive) lunch which we took back to the hotel as we checked in.
    Our room was v nice and so super convenient.
    After meal planning for the next few days it was back to
    Migros and another supermarket for supplies and bottles of wine to take with us to see us through the next few days including New Years.
    In the bowels of the mall opposite the supermarket there was this random little beer cafe full of locals so we decided to join them for a quick beer- it was hilarious!! An unexpected local experience but sadly could only afford 1!!
    Back to the hotel for a relaxed evening and an early night as we were leaving at 08.30am the next day. This was after hanging the bag of food out of the window to keep it cool as the fridge was too small!!
    Leaving at 08.30am sounds like a decent time but it’s dark until this time and quite cold so not so easy getting up early- in fact it’s getting harder and harder to get up.... we need daylight!!!
    Read more