Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 223

    Going, going, gone..... well nearly

    February 9, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    Today started v early with lots of msgs from many people. Who needs a sleep in on a Sunday when u r on “holiday”??!!!
    By 8.30am we were on our way down to the paddock and within 40 mins the tractor cage and spray unit were loaded onto the trailer of a v delightful Dean and Molly- first thing gone.
    10.30am Damien turned up as planned for the massive boat trailer and lambing up pens. Slight problem here, Damo turned up with a small trailer full of sleepers he was due to drop off and a 2 wheeled drive Toyota Celica!! We kindly advised him to leave both on the road and jump in the truck to have a “look” at the size of the items he had come to pick up. Sensibly Damo decided he would leave the pens but would still like the trailer so would come back next Sunday with a car carrier.... D for disappointed.
    11am in the dot Leighton, who couldn’t have been more opposite to Damien turned up for the dog kennels and despite not particularly liking the speed and style of his manual handling, the dog kennels were on the trailer, tied down and they were away with maximum efficiency to their new home to house foster dogs- good result.
    By 11.30am I had managed to persuade K to go to Vanessas for a coffee and a quick read of the paper before the next job whilst waiting for Ron at 2pm for the post hole driver.
    Next on the list was getting our bikes out of their boxes where they have been for 4 years since we left Nelson for PNG. They went together easily but god knows if they will survive being ridden.
    Just before 2pm Ron and his son turned up and were a sight for sore eyes. They had a tip trailer and a winch to remove the 12ft solid post hole driver. They knew exactly what they were doing and didn’t even need at help for the first time today so we watched as they managed to lever this huge piece of equipment into place, secure it and happily drive it away- great job done.
    After this it was time to tidy and clean out of our shed and get rid of all of the packing paper the bloody mice are so fond of.
    A quick stop for a coffee at 3.30pm was
    much welcomed and then it was down to the bottom paddock again. 4 truck loads later and all that was left were the boat trailer snd the lambing pens.... if only Damo had come good we would have had the most successful day.
    Still not finished it was time to top the blood thistles which was actually v satisfying now the place was nearly clear.
    Trmw we were hoping to take the bikes for a spin but somehow I have managed to lose all of my bike gear/ obviously it was all in one box and despite going through every box and case at home/ shed ( which took a precious hour) they were nowhere to be found/ gutted.
    By now it was 9pm and we were too knackered so tmrw mornings plan is to try to find at least a helmet before we hopefully get on the road for a day to Central.
    Read more