Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 242

    Welcome to the World Explorer

    February 28, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Once up the gangplank of the spanky new World Explorer we had to X-ray our bags ( no issues with K’s clunking wine bottles!!) and then to check in at the 3 desk reception where we had to give our passports over for the duration.
    Here we met Gary and Karina the Canadians we had briefly met at the travel agency yesterday. They seem v nice and have actually sailed their 13 m boat down from Vancouver where they live. They have left the boat moored in Puerto Williams 10 kms across the channel in what is actually Chilean not Argentinian waters.
    We were taken to our cabin 502 by a member of staff and were not surprised to find we had been put in a twin suite.
    The location is perfect being the v first cabin on the port side- we step out of our cabin door and we are right on the wrap around observation deck.... v nice.
    Without being too awkward we asked for our beds to be made into a double as we didn’t want to spend 3 weeks in twin beds- no problem apparently.
    K and I then spent 20 mins unpacking our stuff into ample storage spaces, split into outdoor wear in one wardrobe, indoor wear in another, cameras and grab bag of stuff in the cupboard by the door etc.
    The bathroom is full size with a proper toilet and full shower ( with 6 settings!!) with a seat and we have a sofa, desk and a nest of tables- it’s all ridiculous really but we love it.
    We had a quick 10 min walk around the boat before we had to be at the first briefing at 5.15pm.
    We were introduced to the crew, advised about hand hygiene, informed about the digital daily programmes on our TVs etc etc
    Next it was a “surprise” lifeboat drill where we had to take our life jackets down to the muster points, sign in with our electronic cards and had to don the floatation vests. Once this was successfully completed it was free time for further exploration until dinner at 7.30pm.
    The glass fronted observation lounge is beautiful and seeing we were nearly the only ones there to begin with I secured a book from the library to read for the duration.
    Judy and David were sat on one of the back couches and were surprised to see us as they hadn’t seen us board ( we really got the feeling they didn’t believe we were on the same ship as them!). They said they were happy with their infinity suite without the balcony because who would want a balcony in the cold?..... we would!! We are actually super excited about our balcony with its chairs and table.
    Before we knew it, it was time for dinner so down we went to join a queue of people outside the dining room. Let in I secured a table by the window- only to be immediately joined by Sue and Ray- the drinkers!!!
    They were ecstatic to find out wine and beers are included free of charge with dinner..... we were also quite happy about that although tonight it was water only for us, to accompany the buffet dinner.
    After dinner it was down to the “mud room” to be fitted with our parkas ( which we are allowed to keep) and our boots ( on loan) in preparation for our first shore excursion to the Falkland Islands in 2 days time.
    We were meant to be sailing at 8pm but it’s now 11.15pm and we are still docked at the wharf. No reason given.
    K and I were hoping to stay up as I wanted to be on deck as we left Ushuaia but sadly it looks like it’s getting too late.
    Tmrw’s day at sea will start with 8am breakfast and then a full day of lectures and briefings. Still can’t believe this is real!!
    ( we finally pulled up anchor and motored out of Ushuaia and down the Beagle Channel at 11.30pm)
    Read more