Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 244

    West Point and Carcass Island - Part 2

    March 1, 2020 in Falkland Islands ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    Whilst at lunch the boat moved about 30 mins around to Carcass point where we were expecting to see Magellanic penguins and Gentoos.
    This time we were boarded 3rd into the zodiacs and most people were slightly more efficient than this am but also slightly less overdressed as it was even hotter.
    Once more we saw dolphins (dusky dolphins) as we were shuttled to the beach- this time a surf landing.... well v small waves onto another white sandy beach.
    We spent the next 3 hours between 2pm-5.30pm first at “dikes beach” and then at “leopards beach” watching and photographing the large groups of Magellanic and Gentoo penguins as they chased each other around, jumped into and out of the water, and generally looked v cute.
    We also passed a v tame Caracara, hawk type bird that sat proudly on top of a tussock right in the middle of our path through the sand dunes.
    The weather was stunning, the sand was blindingly white and the water an azure blue- it was v hard to believe we were in the Falkland Islands in the middle of the Southern Ocean.
    Dikes beach where we were to be zodiaced back from, was littered with lots of slimy, slime filled cucumber type creatures which the 2x marine biologists didn’t even know why they were- interesting.
    K and I were one of the last people to be loaded back to the ship- maximising our on shore time whilst we can.
    Back on board it was time for a shower, the daily recap and briefing before a dinner shared with Josh, a Canadian teacher from Calgary. Josh has been working via Workaway and travelling for nearly a year and has a few more months to go. He was v pleasant although pretty quiet but obviously enjoys teaching and travelling.
    After dinner we both fell asleep knackered from the free wine and the fresh Falkland air!!
    Read more