Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 260

    Lockdown in Ushuaia- bye World Explorer!

    March 17, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    After not sleeping v well at all we were up as we had to put our bags outside the cabin door by 06.30am. Breakfast was at 06.45am but we got down there just after 7am and proceeded to collect items for the next 2 days as all restaurants and cafes mandatorily closed as we are reportedly meant to be locked down at our accommodation. Most people were making sandwiches and hoarding the bread and cheese and anything else that wasn’t bolted down!!
    We heard from our host Gaston, who kindly said we could arrive at 8am, which settled the boat staff as they could now legitimately dump us from the bus.
    A few goodbyes ( none teary) and we were scanned out for the last time ( well we got scanned out , in and then out again because we accidentally left with the people for the airport bus!!!).
    Picking up our bags that had been kindly lifted to the wharf we loaded them onto bus 2 and grabbed a seat, laughing that we should have been boarded by seal, penguin, albatross and whale groups for the last time.... and probably in that order!!
    Goodbye World Explorer it has been an amazing trip and a beautiful ship and we have met some v lovely people.
    K and I actually got off the bus first and when we saw our accommodation we laughed that it was a good job we had been dropped off around the corner!!! Most others were in hotels with sea views .... we went for a washing machine and WiFi!!
    Our host Gaston was v lovely and finished off cleaning before leaving us to the 4 loads of laundry we ended up doing.
    Gaston is a police officer and whilst saying he thought the lockdown was unnecessary he didn’t exactly say we could roam free around town!
    We have spent all day in the apartment which is basically in Gaston’s family’s backyard watching grandma and grandpa (in a dodgy vest/singlet) go about their business whilst the baby cries and another young child screams intermittently. They seem like v lovely hardworking people and the apartment, despite being basic is spotless.
    At 4pm we sneaked out to a supermarket 100m away and bought chips/ crisps so we have existed on a diet of bread, cheese, cookies stolen from the ship, chips and wine.... are weight watchers doing online classes??!!!!
    Today the advisory has been than Argentina are stopping all domestic flights and long haul trains from Mar 20th-25th so we have to get out of here tmrw or at the v latest 19th otherwise we may v well lose our Airnz flight on 25th. Today they have released more seats .... business class at $5000 usd each!!! Really??!!!! They are definitely not flying after March 30th and with Chile being closed Qantas flights are out also. Fingers crossed we leave Ushuaia tmrw.
    For now we are safe and well ( not well fed!) and have everything we need. Let’s see what tmrw brings
    Read more