Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 255

    Graham Passage and Portal Point

    March 12, 2020 in Antarctica ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    The wake up call was at 07.15am today and although we had woken earlier and the verandah door was open, we didn’t get up until 8am.
    Laying in bed searching for whale blows and enjoying icebergs as they floated past was a lovely way to spend half an hour.
    We breakfasted at 8am surrounded by numerous glaciers lining Graham Passage.
    By 08.30am we were back upstairs looking for the telltale whale blows.
    We were first to go out this am which was an amendment to the program which had us wrongly last ( as usual!!), so K and I were dressed to the hilt in record time and found ourselves one of the first in the zodiac.
    Our driver today was the big boss “Woody” who was v good at taking us around the spectacular huge icebergs that were surrounding the ship.
    Next we drove into Graham Bay, a bay which was made up entirely of sea level glaciers.
    To make it even more stunning we spent 40 mins watching 2 feeding humpbacks!! Wow what an amazing experience as they dived, resurfaced, slapped the surface with their pectoral fins and showed us their fluke time and time again. They were so close to the zodiacs but were not at all bothered as they fed to gain stores for their 6-8 month fast as they head north to warmer waters in coming weeks.
    After being out for 2 hours it was back to the boat. K and I tried to use the outdoor spa but despite walking around the ship in our bathrobes and togs we were disappointed to find the spa was freezing cold!
    After a hot shower it was more whales watching this time from the observation lounge until lunch time at 12.30pm, which we spent with Diane and John from Melbourne.
    After lunch we were last on the zodiacs for a cruise around Portal Point. It was 0 degs C so K and I wore so many layers we nearly boiled to death waiting to board the boats thanks to other passengers faffing around.
    Anyway we were lucky to both get at the front of our zodiac and for the next 45 mins we got to watch another 3-4 humpbacks feeding and playing around within metres from the zodiacs. How lucky are we?? The annoying American Lady with the large camera got right shitty as she was at the back of the zodiac ( despite being at the front for so many trips), and shouted at K at one point to keep her head down!! She is so rude unless she is at the front or on the best side at all times- the funniest thing was K didn’t realise she was talking to her so didn’t budge but nor did she need to.
    Next (sadly) we had to swap with the passengers on land (our first steps onto Continental Antarctica). We got to climb a small ice encrusted incline where we had sweeping views of the iceberg filled bay, another humpback and able to enjoy the general beauty of our surroundings.
    Back on the boat at 5pm K and I had another attempt at the spa which was meant to have been fixed but we braved it even though it was lukewarm at best. We shivered through 20 mins before returning to the cabin for a hot shower, some bubbly we had brought with us and a relax before heading for dinner at 7.30pm.
    Dinner was shared with Sue and Ray who are managing to drink the ship dry night after night!!
    K is now asleep at 9.30pm. Another magnificent day with soo many close whale encounters.
    We only have 2 days left in Antarctica and then sadly it is 2 days to cross the infamous Drake Passage before they kick us off Tuesday am- we will be so v v sad to leave this floating palace!!

    More photos to follow
    Read more