Satellite
  • Day 20

    Day 20: Bremen

    July 28, 2019 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    This morning is our departure day, but before taking the train, we join Heike to the shelter where she loyally volunteers every Sunday. We are surprised at how big and well organized it is (they can receive up to 500 cats, but there are all types of animals there!). The dogs there are mostly Staffordshire-typed because of the law banning these breeds in Hamburg. We wish them all to find better homes and would have loved to adopt a cat (he would be black and named Cayetano), but sadly our backpacks barely have room for our food. It is time to say goodbye to Heike our wonderful host (she is not that small in real life, we are just giants), before hopping on the train again.

    Our first stop of the day is Bremen which we largely have time to visit in the few our we have. The whole town is themed around the fairy tale "The Town Musicians of Bremen", and the merchandising of such towns (just like Odense) makes us chuckle. We admire the quaint center, watch the hour change as the bells ring at the Glockenspiel and walk through the narrow streets of the Schnoor neighborhood. Mikel gives it another chance at being a model.

    We return to the train station, eating blueberries on the way, and the best strawberries ever tasted in my whole life (not even competing to be the best)!
    Read more