Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 103

    Ferry Crossing Dingle Coastline

    July 27, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    Today has turned out wet and very misty. We left the hotel early to catch the ferry over to the Dingle Peninsula. The ferry is a roll of and off one as this is only a half hour trip. Seas have been kind so far. The Peninsula is apparently amazing in fine weather but today let the tour guide down since spite of his wearing a tie.

    We crossed the Shandon river and we're told about the Liberator, Danny O'Connell who fought for equality of faith as the Catholics could not own land. On to County Claremont. Just an aside, this morning I was delighted to see and hear a yearling in the car park. A lady in high heels was helping to corrale it! Fun to watch her.

    Having got myself thoroughly confused I think it was at Camp we had morning tea. Had a very relaxing Irish coffee. The pub was a real oldie style one with peat fire going, low beams and bench tale setting up great atmosphere. Lunch was in Dingle and had lovely piece of code in beer type batter. So light and crispy. Dingle is a delightful, touristy town of colour and the estates ice ream parlours.

    As you drive through the roads the hedges glow with the red of wild fusion. Very pretty. The roads are mainly one way as you travel the coast line. Exciting drivng for driver. One one road we lost part of a mirror as the trees come out over the road. The next mishap occurred as we left the cliffs of the Peninsula onto easier roads and around the corner on the wrong side came a car, apparently blithely unaware of taking on a huge coach. Good driving and scraping the side of the bus got us through, but for rest of trio we had a buzzer telling us that the storage doors were not shut.

    Along the coastal drive you see the old be hive houses atop the cliffs which drop down 100 plus feet below the road. A little unnerving to drive along. My photos have ever plenty of Irish mist just to remind me where we are.
    Read more