Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Sydney to Penang

    February 21, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Crazy early 4.15 am start after a hot, humid Sydney night's sleep. So therefore that meant: no sleep. A quick shower, small brekky and then outside to wait for Jo and Ian. Bridget was chatting to us through the 4th bedroom windows where she's been isolating with covid.

    A quick trip to Sutherland station which was alive with people, derros, tradies and open shops even at 5.15 am in the morning. We had a relatively quick train to Wolli Creek but a wait on the airport line.

    Pretty seamless through check in, customs and screening. The loader at screening looked very pleased I did what was required without being asked and laughingly offered for me to take over his job. Yeah, nah.

    Some duty free shopping to stock the bar: Archie Rose gin, Kahlua, Cointreau and scotch. Gin and a bottle of wine for Penang.

    Then the holiday really started, WFP hit the bar at 7.30am. Mandatory pix of planes passports and bevvies.

    We're on an older aircraft which as per usual for us is pretty full. I have a little shit behind me kicking my chair plus one 2 seats up screaming and crying. Old mate across the aisle coughing and spluttering and scratching at his hairy ears. How I wish for business class 😪

    Snack of paratha filled with pumpkin, peas and lentils with a white wine. 😋 Now just trying to kill time till the next meal.

    I've watched Mrs Harris goes to Paris that I've been wanting to see. The Dior gowns are magnificent and a nice feel-good story.

    Now waiting for lunch. Starving.

    Lunch was lemon chicken and fried rice. Only good because I was hungry. The Singapore Airlines food leves a lot to be desired; it's not like it used to be. Now about to descend into Singapore then transfer to Penang.

    Quick layover at Changi. It was good to freshen up and go for a wander. New carpet, chairs and paint but it's still Changi Airport. A few laughs about previous visits there and now we are waiting on the plane to Penang.

    The Blue Mansion is glorious: the room sublime; I feel like a princess or someone who has just won the lottery.
    Read more