Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Penang

    February 24, 2023 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Amazing day filled with food, history, music and laughter.

    Later breakfast and then a long chat with Kathleen, the lady who runs the gift shop. She gave me some names of her fave sari shops in Little India as well as some names of good restaurants.

    We went on the historic tour of the Mansion. Bonus was it was run by the woman of the architectural couple who bought and restored it. Such a special hour. If I loved it before I could feel it after her tour. So many insights and stories and amazing passion for her town's legacy.

    A lounge around with beer in the courtyard then it was time to get ready and frock up for our high tea at the Eastern and Oriental Hotel. We got there 30 minutes early to look around a little at some of the hallways filled with old newspapers and photos and bits. Then we were led into a beautiful booth/banquette with velvet seats, a damask tablecloth on a round table and bone china, with sunny, steamy views out over the water.

    Three tiers of sweet and savoury decadent yumminess appeared with fancy pots of tea and a glass of white for me. Gosh all of those little morsels can be filling. My fave savoury sweet was the chicken choux and for sweet the red velvet cake, and Mick's was the tuna tartare on wholemeal and chocolate tart. We were SO FULL by the end of it!

    A waddle to a bar for a drink then a wander back to the Blue Mansion with only 30 minutes to spare before the Chinese musician came in to play in the courtyard. We all sat at a table transprted by the story this guy played on hs stringed instrument. We were entralled for nearly 90 minutes by his playing.

    Though not too hungry we still managed an bite to eat next door at the red dragon hawker stalls.

    Time for bed zzzzz.
    Read more