Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Penang

    February 27, 2023 in Malaysia ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    So another nice breakfast but I gave the noodle soup a miss in favour of baked beans on toast 😊.

    Today was the hiring-a-driver day so we could go to some further away places. Our first stop was Penang Hill which was only cool because of the funicular railway which took us up the 1000 metres to the touristy top. The finicula took us through some lush rainforest and the bonus at the top was we saw a pack of dusky leafed monkey (speckled langurs) which were having fun hanging and bickering in the rainforest canopy. There was a relatively new Hindu temple at the top - garish of course and a mosque. Then all the tourist-touty-carney stuff.

    So the funicular back down and back in the car to the Kok Seng Temple. The biggest one in Asia and typical Chinese. Impressive, huge and high on the hill and typically Chinese. And hot did I mention?

    Lunch was late at the Stables Bar and coffee shop. I had a chicken burger but should have had pasta but the chips were great!

    Back at the Blue Mansion I had a swim and then drinkies outside.

    We met the Drinnans for dinner and walked to Halab which was a Syrian restaurant recommended by Kathleen. It was pretty delish. A chunky baba ganoush, falafel, homous and puffed breads. Followed by lamb and okra curry and chicken kebabs, rice and salad.
    Read more