Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Singapore

    March 2, 2023 in Singapore ⋅ 🌧 25 °C

    Very deep night's sleep after yesterday which was nice and then a later breakfast. Breakfast was frenetic and average.

    Found the Joo Chiat Kalang area after a map tanty for the beautiful old peranakan houses and funky local shops and cafes. Josie and I bought some pretty scented candles from a market stall that came in pretty tin boxes, and from a kitchen shop I bought a sieve and some stainless steel bowls. Stopped into trendy cafe for a local beer when it got too hot.

    Back to Arab Street in Kampong Glam for murtabak at Zamzams restaurant. We all shared beef, mutton and chicken murtabak that came with 2 curry dipping sauces - a fish curry sauce and chicken curry sauce. Drinks were non-alcohiloc of course; lychee soda for Josie, the boys had ice milo and I had a surprisingly nice ice kopi!

    A huge storm and rain. Walked around in the rain in Kampong Glam. We found some batik shops where the cheaper batiks I'd use for tablecloths were quite nice but the real batik, of course, was really expensive. But having said that there were large silk scarves from Indonesia - of which I have 4 - that I bought in Bali for AUD 20 and they were selling here for SIN150. Go figure...

    Back to the hotel at about 5pm and it ended up being a nice quiet night in. I got some cheese and bikkies from across the road so that was dinner.

    A good and fun day :)
    Read more