Satellite
  • Day 47

    Great Expectations

    June 1, 2015 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    The holiday is over! Today was my first day at work, and I've been thrown in at the deep end. I was supposed to have a nice, slow induction, but the facts on the ground at the company mean I have to get involved straight away. There will be no easing me in. I've been tasked with redesigning the end of a shaft, changing the existing sealing method to one better suited for a product in the food industry (it has to be IP66 - in other words, completely protected from any ingress). This is easily doable and I relish the challenge. I wanted to hit the ground running, and now I've no choice but to. Early next week I have to travel to a company in Nuremberg, and a few days later I'm back in Holland. But not, this time, to visit lovely little towns, but to meet a man who has been doing all the FEA work for my company on a sub-contract basis. Basically, I will be taking over from him.

    It's 11pm and I'm drinking a Yorkshire tea. Normally I wouldn't touch tea or any other caffeinated beverage after about 5pm. But it won't make the slightest bit of difference tonight. I couldn't drink five double Espressos if I wanted, and I'd still be out cold as soon as my head hits the pillow.

    The apartment is nice, as is the neighbourhood Bilk. I shall write about it tomorrow, for now is time for some sleep.
    Read more