Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Cherished memories of Englefield Green

    October 21, 2017 in England ⋅ 🌧 7 °C

    A leisurely up and to breakfast in yet another fabulous breakfast room. A bit tight for time/concern for time so couldn't linger as we had the Euro Chunnel to catch at 12. A bit of Rain!! First of the trip!! R at the helm, made it out of Ghent easily and to the EC one 'train' ahead of schedule. Tried to find a spot to eat in Maidenstone but weren't successful "Ye Olde Thirsty Pig" didn't serve food and nothing else looked feasible.

    On the road again! Decided to "book it" to The Sun Pub in Englefield Green - oh my how the roads and Egham have changed!! But with me navigating and Mike at the helm we made it and had yummy sandwiches with crisps and Brit beer accompanied by memoirs of RDA - his fav pub in the world. Popped by Ashdown on way up Tite Hill - where three little boys spent 3 of their formative years - memories galore - smiling heartedly remembering!

    Checked into The Runnymede on the Thames...oh my.. the renovations are superb - wish we had more than one night here!! Decided to pack and sort the beer Mike had collected along the way, divy it up between all our suitcases - Rich even took his - the heavy one to the Spa to weigh it LOL - all good! Gave us the time to scoot to Tasis - "Sweet Mikey's" kindergarten plus school. What a shock!! The property was filled with so many more buildings/school rooms! dorms? The precious play areas and more gone.... sigh....change...didn't even recognize the route there - "you can never truly go back" but the memories still linger.
    Drove back through Englefield Green village - NICE! Memories flooded back, fish monger time, the pharmacy where Lady Di had been, our fav Indian restaurant....

    Back to the Runnymede for freshening up and off to the Fox and Hounds for oh no!! A BIG filling meal - I don't want to eat for a year!! Had their Thai Curry which was delish but so big! Fab Gin menu with pairing Feverwell Tonics - sublime! Decided not to do wines. Mike and Britt had great looking pheasant. We are full!! Nice to be packed and to bed at a pretty good hour.
    Read more