Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Exploring Bad Ischl & charming Hallstatt

    October 16, 2018 in Austria ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Off to see what Bad Ischl is all about and we were surprised to find some lovely shopping. As R had found his treasures yesterday, I felt a purchase “coming on” ;). Found a gorgeous 4 seasons slight puffy black velvet jacket but the price scared me off. R found a cozy shirt, both German made and very cool.

    Sissi (note ref in next paragraph) was the wife of Emperor Frank Josef although they were mostly estranged. He spent many months here in Bad Ischl and in fact signed the declaration of war there with Serbia which started WW II.

    Back into car and off to Hallstatt - narrow but comfortable driving. Gorgeous scenes at every corner. All houses white with the brown wood and trailing geraniums. So cool. Alas, the usual Asian invasion at Hallstatt but not as heavy as it would have been in summer. Strolled along, very glad I had not booked the Heritage Hotel as initially planned. Had an amazingly good goulash meal there however, with “Sissi” pink Prosecco for lunch, R a great char and yup, a beer.

    Decided to rent one of the small electric boats and tour about a bit on the Lake. Was actually fun! and so amazingly warm yet again.

    That jacket was calling me so found our way back to parking lot in confusing Bad Ischl and it was just waiting there to come home with me - perfect fit!

    I drove back to St Wolfgang where we went for a swim and then had a more ‘difficult’ experience literally hiking to a different restaurant for a so-so meal but wine was great Gverner Veltliner - the best in Austria. An eve not to be repeated.
    Read more