Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Chamonix

    March 19, 2023 in France ⋅ 🌧 5 °C

    We got packed up and moved into our 2nd apartment. This one is in the center of Chamonix. It’s perfect. It even has a washer and dryer combo unit. I’m still suffering from PTSD from my last experience. So I’m going to skip the washing at this place. I will have help from Vitto at our next location. I’m going to record her directions because the rest of the trip will most likely be in Italian.
    We went to get our skis at the ski rental around the corner. All of the boots were so broken in. Mine didn’t fit great. We all tried on multiple pairs. When we came out of the store it was raining. We drove up to base of the mountain were were planning to ski that day and everyone was leaving. No skiing today. It ended up raining all day / night. We decided to go play basketball (yes, in the rain) and go ice skating. When we arrived at the ice staking / hockey arena there was an ice skating competition going on. So we stayed and watched. It was just like taking your kids to a swim meet or dance competition over the weekend. Andrew got some basketball in and we walked around town with our rain coats on.
    Gabe and I decided to have a date night. We found a Michelin “ranked” not starred restaurant. It was really good.

    **European apartment / rental differences from the US - The square footage of the apartment isn’t the real issue. It’s the amenities. They only give you 1 body towel per person. Maybe 1 hand towel. No dish towels for drying dishes. Maybe 1 roll of paper towels. Most of the kitchen supplies are bare minimum. We have bought our own supplies of salt, pepper, Evoo, paper towels. To take with us from place to place. I’m going to get some dish towels next. The other big thing are the beds and pillows. Our Como apartment was good. There were multiple pillows and they had toppers on the mattresses. The Chamonix apartment is not great. Only 1 pillow per person and its square shaped. The mattress is marginal. Sleeping aids are a must.
    Read more