Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Taromina Day 1

    May 6, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Time to explore Taormina! After a late start to the day, we all got dressed and made our way out into the city. Our first stop is finding something for lunch. We found a small place to eat lunch and then made our way to the Greek Theater. We got our tickets and began to explore the theater. It’s currently still used as an outdoor theater for concerts and they erect a screen to show movies for the Taormina film festival. They were doing some repairs to the floors and modern seats have been added. The theater was completed in the 3rd century B.C. Its high up the top of the town. After we took all the photos we went to walk the Corso Umberto. As we have learned in all the previous towns, the main streets run east to west. From the outside “wall” there are Gates or entrances to the main area of town. Taromina is known for its shopping. It’s also become popular because of the HBO show White Lotus. The 2nd season was filmed at the 4 Seasons in Taormina. When we were looking at places to stay here, I of course looked at the 4 Seasons. Besides it being extremely expensive, the location is not anything they portrayed on the show. I was hoping to at least eat at one of the restaurants but we could not get a reservation. They won’t let anyone but a hotel guests into the bar. So I didn’t even get to see it. After a full day of shopping, gelato and lots of walking we finally went home. I made the kids pasta from our leftover pomodoro sauce. Gabe and I went to an off the beaten path Michelin guide recommendation. It was different….The stuffed and fried artichoke was exactly like my Nani’s. Yum! Gabe LOVED his rabbit. I ordered asparagus pasta against the servers recommendation of artichoke pasta and she was right. I love asparagus but this was wild asparagus. Very bitter tasting.
    We went to a slow walk home to enjoy the awesome moon and went to sleep. We are super excited to Boat Day tomorrow!
    Read more