Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Rocky Mountaineer

    September 2, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Today we boarded the Rocky Mountaineer, destination Kamloops.
    Oh my god, this train is amazing, and the all round views of the scenery is .... I can’t even find the words.
    We were in the Gold Leaf glass roof car number 8. Today’s train had 14 cars of people 25 cars in total- it was a site to see. 815 guests onboard, the largest group of the season. The staff are like a well oiled machine, military precision is in understatement. Moving & organising that amount of people so precisely is a credit to the company.

    There is always something to see, commentary when places of interest are coming up - allows people to get there cameras out... but nothing will ever take the place of simply watching the world unravel before your eyes. The food was 6 star and the hosts amazingly accommodating. Bar opens @ 10:31am so celebratory Baileys were the order of the day.... it was 12 noon somewhere in the world. 🥃🍸🍹🍻

    DepartIng Vancouver, lush rainforest environment & moving towards Kamloops which is dry almost desert like ... through mountains that have been touch by fires, through to mountains that constantly have mud slides. Following the Fraser River through calm waters & rapids, then being lucky enough to see two rivers meet with 2 very distinctive colours merging.

    One place I was desperate to capture an image of was “Hells Gate” this was a destination that dad took his tour group too 42 years ago. Back then it was a tour via coach not the beautiful Rocky Mountaineer. What an amazing display of mother nature’s artistic flare.

    Scones, Breakfast, cheese & fruit platters, lunch and drinks never stopped coming. Tonight to say we’re full as a goog is an understatement.

    We’ve disembarked and been bussed to our hotel - Delta, with full intention of going for a walk. (A better description would be waddle)... let’s see if this comes to fruition 🥴

    Day one done, roll on day 2 and on to Banff.

    No photo will ever show the truly amazing countryside in its pure form. But we’ll do our best.
    Read more