Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Ketchikan

    September 16, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    As expected it’s raining in Ketchikan, oh and a little chilly. We docked at 10am so a leisurely breakfast before we rug up and disembark.
    We’ve booked to see the Lumberjack show. So once we avoid all the puddles and rain we make it to the venue. The show is very entertaining and has us in stitches. There’s hundreds of people in the bleaches so we wait for them to disperse before we leave. Mum starts to chat to the compare and drops the name - Jack O’Toole. For those playing along at home Jack is the Australian champion woodchopper from the 60’s & his son & grandson are champions as well. Jack was Mums Mums cousin....
    Anyway all the Lumberjacks came running over to meet mum because Jack O’Toole’s relative from Australia has come to see their show.
    These men were excited, one even hugged mum he was so excited. They all wanted a photo with mum, YOHO.
    One young man was from Tamworth and was overwhelmed because there was someone from Australia with logging history talking to him.... I’d say he was a little home sick.

    We leave and head down to Creek Street, the famous houses on stilts. There’s too many tourists so we have a quick look then head to the local cafe. I’d looked the cafe up earlier and thought how appropriate and we’ll have to make time to go.
    Pioneer Cafe is significant on two counts in my eyes
    1. It’s a traditional diner and there’s not many of them left
    2. Dad worked for Ansett Pioneer so the last hoora before our trip ends.

    Lachlan can’t get over the fact that the drinks keep getting topped up and it doesn’t cost extra. Tea, coffee & soft drinks that are bottomless.... 😳
    Mum orders “Shrimp & French Fries”. Lachlan an “Alaska Burger & French Fries” & I get a cheese burger with mushrooms & a side of fries. Lachlan’s burger is nearly as big as his head and did an awesome job at eating it. The staff smile every time they walk past. I don’t think they thought he’d finish it.
    We start to wander back to the ship and surprise, surprise the heavens open up. We’d had enough of the tourist shops so the quicker we get back the better. We’re a little wet and one umbrella didn’t survive the wind so that’s been donated to the local rubbish bin.
    Back on the ship to dry out and relax. We sail this afternoon & tomorrow then disembark the day after. Enjoying every moment of this trip.

    Wonder what the poor people are doing 💙
    Read more