Satellite
  • Day 7

    Royal Britannia!

    July 10, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Awoke to the drip, drip, drip of precipation outside our window, not heavy, but definitely wet!
    After chef Phil made us bacon and eggs we headed out to face the day.
    Our first attraction was Edinburgh Castle, and by the time we got down the hill to collect our tickets the man suggested we get on the bus instead of a very wet walk.
    As I said it wasnt heavy, but it did travel sideways which creates a real challenge trying to keep dry.
    The camera was tucked inside my two jackets but each time I pulled it out to take a pic one handed (other hand holding umbrella) it seemed to get covered in mist again.
    We enjoyed the castle but I am sure we would have enjoyed it a lot more on a dry day. Even when you went inside buildings they were wet from everyone else. And the views from up on the hill were definitely limited today.
    I don't like whiskey, but Haha, my highlight was probably tasting a whiskey liquer at one of the gift shops and it was great, and a very handy heart warmer on the day. Phil and I even managed to get a second round of tastings and went back and bought a bottle before leaving. And, since being home tonight we may have sipped our way thru a few more measures each.
    A hearty soup lunch was perfect today to take the body chill away and then we went back outdoors to find a bus to take us to the docks to visit Royal Britannia, decommissioned by the Queen in 1997. We both really enjoyed the tour thru many of the rooms on board, and indulged in a visit to the Royal Deck Tea Room for tea and cake and hot chocolate and scones.
    Can you believe it, all the beds on board, bar one, are single including the Queen and Prince Phillips. The only double bed was brought on board by Charles when he married Diana, for their honeymoon.
    The state dining room was stunning and still used today for corporate events and private functions, if you have the dollars.
    A bit more shopping after disembarking, including my third pair of shoes and a bus back to the Old Town where we are staying.
    It was still dry following the ease up of rain earlier so we walked to Greyfriars Kirk (Chuch) and Graveyard to find Jonh Grays gravesite. The statue of Bobby his dog is outside the graveyard with a shiny brass nose as everyone rubs it for luck as they pass.
    By the time we walked back we decided it was Beer O'clock and popped into one of hundreds of taverns and soaked up the character of the place and a few refreshments.
    By this time its 8pm and another day is done!
    The maximum temperature today was a big 13C. Brrrrr...

    Phil - Edinburgh is a town that could easily take you back in time. The architecture is amazing and in the old town they have not spoilt it. The buildings are the same as they were 100's of years ago. And the town is huge, so it is not just the case of a few buildings, it goes for miles.
    Basically, you have a small range of stores. There are pubs everywhere and these is some record for the most pubs per capita. Then there are the tartan, cashmere, and kilt shops. So many I don't know how they survive. And then the whiskey shops. You would think that with so many whiskeys made around here it would be cheaper. Not the case. Very expensive.
    The royal yacht was very interesting. There were pictures of the royal family in normal clothes and doing normal things, something that you just don't see.
    The range of boutique beers here is huge. Many on tap. Very hard to decide what to have, but I am working my way through them.
    Read more