Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Cruising

    July 15, 2017 in England ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Breakfast was sumptuous! Everything you could want and scrambled eggs and salmon. Yay!
    And that was after enjoying the complimentary treats downstairs when we came home after dinner last night - chocolate cake for supper for us. There are also two different types of biscuits and another cake. In our room we also have a container of other biscuits, all home made. Even the danishes at breakfast this morning were home made.
    It certainly was not a perfect summers day, but on holiday it is what it is, get on with your sightseeing or miss out.
    It rained until about 4.30pm but at least it wasn't heavy.
    We walked from our B & B in Windermere to the pier at Bowness on Windermere to take a lake cruise from Bowness, south to Lakeside pier. From there we climbed aboard a carriage of the steam train for the round trip to Haverthwaite through the countryside along the river.
    Once back at Lakeside we cruised back to Bowness to catch a cruise to Ambleside. We spent a few hours wandering around a very pretty village that has certainly embraced tourists and started marketing everything they can.
    The slate homes and fences in the Lakes District are just amazing wherever you go.
    The views on the lake were beautiful ever though a little blurry today through the mist.
    Back on the steamer boat to Bowness and once back on land it was time for refreshments and thankfully the rain eased off. Into a bar we went for a mojito and pint. A very busy place but relaxing just chilling, watching the world go by, along with a few hens parties and a buck in baby nappy and bonnet!
    Dinner turned out to be italian tonight and was very enjoyable and for a change we had a dry walk home.

    Phil - Not a heavy rain, just a misty to light rain most of the day. It did not stop us doing anything, but the boat cruise would have been better with sun.
    Interesting that in all of the towns we have been to, there are many notices in shop windows looking for workers. All different positions, waiting, retail, cooks. Yet I have still seen beggars and homeless in the streets, especially Edinburgh. If they cleaned themselves up, they could get a job.
    Looking forward to tomorrow, where we hit Liverpool and the Beatles.
    Read more