Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Buenos Aires, Argentina

    August 15, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Our last full day in BA which we start with a trip to the Cocur boulangerie for
    pasteries and coffee before the challenge of a taxi ride to la Boca for a walking tour. Heavy traffic leads to a sterling driving performance by the cabbie, and almost an hour tear across the city. We decided to join another two hour walking tour.
    La Boca is the original heart of Buenos Aires, but now is the rough part of the city. Except for three blocks which are theheaviest tourist area in BA. Our guide was specific in defining the areas we should not venture unless we were a doctor or priest and accompanied by a local. La Boca is also the ho e of the la Boca Juniors futbal team which has provided Argentina with some of its most success, as well as Maradonna, and other current world stars.
    As the original river port and start of the city, la Boca is also the foundation of most of BA culture. Immigration played a big part in BA, and the suburb is dominated by slums dating back to the early 1900s. Many immigrant workers were housed in shanty hostels where rent only covered a bed for eight hours. Women were separately housed, but were outnumbered 9 to 1 by male workers, so prostitution became rife. Men spent hours playi g musical instruments from other parts of the world, and a musical style developed lamenting the poor life and loves of the tenants. The tango was born!
    LaBoca is considered the home of the tango so it is no surprise that the tourism part of the suburb heavi,y promotes the tango. Cafes have tango dancers
    Read more